The Best View On The Hill

johnmary
As the days dwindle down to a precious few, and now just hours remain before a rather unique and problematic surgery, I find myself daily recalculating the days of my life. These days have been so full, and, so far from the learning curve going flat, it seems to only get closer and closer to vertical. Not only in physics and engineering is this called an exponential curve, but also in history and in life. See Matthew 24, for instance, as an example of exponential discourse.

As I have already noted elsewhere, “the day Jesus died, He had the best view on the hill.” One of the things He saw, and noted, was a preview of how life would be when He returned in and by His Spirit living in the lives of His followers. How must it have seemed to those who may have heard Him say to His Mother in reference to John, who was standing right there near to her, “Behold your son,” and to John, “behold your mother”?

Perhaps they were the only ones to hear. In any case John took her home to live with him. As likely as not this was one of those new realities that His disciples were not yet ready to hear about at the Last Supper. Indeed, “believers” in our own day are still not ready to hear or see such things. For me, however, this is at the heart of the message that I have heard from the beginning. The resistance to this message is right out of the pits of hell. At the very least, it is the result of the priorities of “flesh.”

There is so much that needs to be said about this, and perhaps it had to wait for a day and time when I no longer had anything to lose.

One of the points to be made is the part about having this mind in us that doesn’t think equality with God as a thing to be grasped, but lets go of more than any other has ever had a right to cling to, and humbles Himself. This must certainly apply to married couples as well.

Do we have certain rights in connection with our spouses’ body belonging to us? Yes, but not so far as clinging to one another in such a way that they are no longer controlled by Christ. Except for covering the expediency of our problem with burning, we must release one another to belong to The Lord, and those He gives to us, and we to them. Given the need to take care of our own in the economy of the old creation, that is the extent of it.

Where personal and conversational time with these others who are ours in Spiritual relationship, these are privileged conversations subject to the parties to those conversations. It’s very strange and even suspect. That this is a matter of course where paid pastoral ministry is concerned, but seen as so unacceptable where the more authentic Spiritual pastoral ministry is concerned. This should not be as it fosters the artificial at the expense of the authentic. We should not have to become merchants to function in The Body of Christ. This too is counterfeit.

The sum total of this message, in it’s expression in the earth is the Church. Anything else is a cheap imitation of the intention of Jesus. This is not something for us to do, but rather something for us to see. Clearly at this time and condition of my life, I have no thought or intention of leading disciples away after myself. My heart is simply that those with ears to hear, and eyes to see, come into an awareness of their inheritance in Christ in this present age.

I have spiritual, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters around the world. My spiritual Fathers have already gone on to be with the Lord. In these days I have been immersed in God’s love lavished on me by my wife, Carleen, and a couple of Spiritual Daughters. Pam has been with us through most of these days, and has done most of the driving once again getting us back here to Bethesda, MD.

While addressing this aspect of our relational inheritance right there at the foot of the cross, this was even before Pentecost.  At that point they were likely the only two who could hear and receive that truth. Even after Pentecost the early believers, including the apostles, had no clue about the nature of not knowing each other according to the flesh. The were still very much “rich and poor,” “Jew and Gentile,” and “male and female.” It remained for Paul to come along and make these spiritual and relational break-throughs.

This is not to say, however, that Paul came to see and appreciate all that Jesus was talking about at the Last Supper when He told those disciples who knew the Lord before he did, that there was still much that He had to say to them, but that they were not yet ready to hear it.

By now, the hour is late, the day far spent, and past time for those of us who name the name of Christ, to get it, and stop living in this bankrupt imitation of the new creation that Christ intended.

This ongoing preoccupation with the flesh is anything but what Jesus prayed for, “on earth as it is in heaven.”

Love!

This entry was posted in J.Ferris: Top Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Best View On The Hill

1. jimpuntney says:

Grace is a Fire

This death is to our natural thinking, or carnal, or flesh point of view. Grace ‘in’ the life of a follower of Jesus Christ has a very defined purpose, it is fire to our ‘straw man’, its the heat that Christ uses to purify. Grace is the ability for us to walk ‘in’ the Spirit.

Grace in Action Within Us

“I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple;[your life] the messenger of the covenant,[Jesus Christ is the covenant] whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty. But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap.[grace in action, not our doing, but His being] He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men[human] who will bring offerings in righteousness, and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem[ekklesia] will be acceptable to the Lord, as in days gone by, as in former years.”

“So I will come to put you on trial.[grace will sift our thoughts] I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive the foreigners among you of justice, but do not fear me,”[flesh, or carnal thoughts] says the Lord Almighty.~ Malachi

Thanks again Jay, and grace and peace to you and yours.

Love you my brother!

2. jimpuntney says:

Reblogged this on Treasure in Jars of Clay and commented:
    “God help us to get over ourselves in all our preoccupations with the flesh, which has us so crippled from living the kind of relational life that was designed in the purposes of God to be the light of the world.” ~ Jay Ferris

3. Jay, you may not see this before the surgery, but that’s not important.

I’m praying for peace in your heart and an extra covering of grace. Also for all your close family and friends, especially Carleen. The Koinonia Retreat in Florida in 2005 seems a long way off in time and space. So ‘Hi’ across the years and the miles.

Bless you my brother. The journey continues.

Chris

4. Paul Hunter says:

Hi Jay,

Pam and I are very aware of your upcoming surgery. I speculate that you have already risen from your bed as I compose this at my keyboard. Your surgery will take place later today as Pam and I rest our heads on our pillows.

Your blog today is one of the key messages of the day …all the way round the world. Pam and I have had more than 50 people live with us, in the United States, over our 45 years together. Some came for only two weeks, while others lived with us for two years. It was the perfect venue for the flesh to be challenged. Too often it won in my case, but the battle had a way of increasing our hunger for the Spirit … to truly live incarnationally the reality of the New Creation. We share our home in Oregon with another couple for nearly five years now. While in Uganda we are seldom to never alone. Just today, one of our guests from the state of Washington remarked, “I think this must be what missionary work is really about. Your home is always open and you share it with everyone.”

I distinctly remember after one of our early trips to Uganda, Pam returning to Oregon and standing at one entrance to our large living room. She look out over her white white plush carpet and said, “Lord I love my house. I love this room. I love this carpet. But today I give it to you. It is no longer mine.” We don’t own anything anymore, but when we discover that we do, we have to give it away.

I’m not facing a challenging surgery like you are today, but I seem to be a lot closer to the exit door than I imagined. It seems I have little time left for me to pursue the the reality of the life of Christ. Thanks for being a key in helping me to push on to be the church as He intended.

Love you much, Paul

5. George Dunn says:

Jay, “the view from the hill” says it all. It is the fact that from any other perspective we find that we individually have “points of view” – much like the story of the blind men and the elephant. Seeing with human eyes and understanding with human understanding we only have an unholy human perspective of spiritual realities. To see clearly we must see through His eyes. Relationship as a spiritual reality is much different than one based upon “human genetics” or psycho-social phenomena. i remember singing “We are one in the Spirit we are one in the Lord.” Indeed. I am finally beginning to perceive things from God’s perspective – a view from the hill – from eternity. Seeing rightly I am beginning to understand understand that twhen it comes to the body of christ he whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

6. Kat Huff says:

Jay,

The sight is beautiful and surpasses the circumference of my words, dear brother. This message is for Today, and together we must hear, together we must listen, together we must see, together we must be. Within your words, here, is the coming to Love’s wholeness. I see our Spirit Love Life that is more, far greater than we have yet lived Him; we have yet to know. Love’s togetherness, Love’s unity in His oneness, that we are about to experience, that we are about to know, is a sight so stunningly bright that I can see nothing else, I can think of nothing else, I can reach for nothing else, I can hear nothing else, but Life Himself. To know Him and to live Him is to know Him and to live Him in us.

Thank you, precious holy Jay. And though, we have not spent much of time in one another’s presence, I say to you, once again, I have been impacted by you enormously, a magnitude of impact that I have no definitions for, no words to speak. I can only say to Father, “I love Jay, my elder brother. Thank you for Jay; thank you Father. Thank you for echoing the sight of Love through Jay.” And at this point, I most often become as though wordless. Wordless, where my words seem so magnificently small, because the sum of their meanings barley exist at all compared to the sight of Him. Not only do my words appear too small, but anymore, there just are not enough words, or so it seems.
    Ever Love!
    Kat

7. George Dunn says:

Bankrupt imitation….I remember receiving a message some time ago that although it is said that “imitation is the greatest form of flattery” when it comes to the kingdom “imitation is the greatest form of deception”! It is what Satan does best…It is what Adamic man does best. There is a vast difference between human creation and Divine creation. It is the difference between life resulting from natural childbirth…and Frankenstein. I picture, “He’s alive…he’s alive…shouts Dr. Frankenstein with glee.”

That which we have built calling it God’s is far removed from the life that comes from above. Often that which is born in the mind of a man is an abomination unto the Lord.

8. Maidena says:

Dear Jay, I have only been reading your blog, i suppose, less than a year, and yet when I first started I remember being excited at the insight you had. Sometimes I felt like I must be delusional, because God would show me things that are so out of the box of traditional Christianity. Thank you for relieving me from the fear of delusion…(: Thank you for confirming revelation I received from God. Thank you for hating religion and not being afraid to say it. Thank you for sharing the insights that God has given you and for being open and available to receive them. I thank God for your life and the influence you’ve had on many in the Body. It gives me hope, although I already have so much hope that God is doing a supernatural thing on the earth in His Body. My HOPE is in Him. I’m grateful He has caused our paths to cross, even though only via internet. I pray for a supernatural touch from heaven upon your body today, brother. And if it’s time for you to see Jesus face to face then I so look forward to meeting you in heaven! But, it would be better for us if God would see fit for you to hang around longer. My hope is in that….blessings upon blessings to you and your sweet Carleen,..and Pam…and all the others Papa has brought along side to help you during this tremendous battle!

Love!

9. ChristinaO says:

Dearest family,
    I hold you close to my heart and Pray the Grace and Love of God are with you all.
    Love
    Christina

Welcome to the conversation! Please leave a comment...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s